Before you can begin using this exciting new tool in your business, you need to set up an account and understand how to manage it.
Creating a Periscope account is easy:
There are two ways to create an account on Periscope: Through your Twitter account or sign in with a phone number.
To sign up with Twitter:
- Begin by signing in using your Twitter credentials. For those who have multiple Twitter accounts on your device, you will need to choose which one you want to sign up with.
Your Twitter profile picture and bio will transfer over to your Periscope account. The app then builds a list of suggested followers based on who you already follow on Twitter. Periscope does not automatically import your Twitter followers to your Periscope account.
- Enter your name and then choose a Periscope username. It can be different from your current Twitter name or you can use the same on if it’s available. Click Create Account.
Once your bio information transfers, you can edit it in your profile.
To sign up with your phone number:
- Make sure you’re using Periscope on the phone you want to sign up with.
- At the login screen, tap Sign Up with Phone Number.
- Enter your info and tap Send Confirmation Code.
- You’ll receive an SMS with your confirmation code. Put that into the prompt. If you have problems, tap Resend Confirmation Code.
- You’ll be taken back to the login screen. Wait for a few seconds and then you’ll be redirected to create your profile! Remember, your username needs to be 2 or more characters.
- When you log out of or quit Periscope, tap “Log In with Phone Number” and you’ll be prompted to enter your phone number and send a confirmation code again. You won’t need to sign up again. This is a different way to log into Periscope.
When you sign up, you get a list of usernames based on your Twitter handle. You can choose one of these or create a different one. Your username needs to be at least two characters. If the username icon turns red when you create it, that username is unavailable.
Your username will be visible to other users when you chat on broadcasts, so choose wisely & if possible, relate it to your business brand.
You can edit your display name but not your username.
You can create a second Periscope account with a different Twitter handle. Simply log out of your existing account and then create another Periscope account with a different Twitter account.
Changing Your Periscope Information
Editing your profile photo
There are a couple of ways to change your photo. You can update your Periscope profile photo by either updating your Twitter profile or in the Periscope app itself.
1. Updating your Twitter photo. Change your photo on Twitter. Log out of your Periscope account and then log back in. This updates your Periscope account.
2. Update the photo in Periscope. Go to your profile page and tap ‘edit’ or the ‘edit icon’ on the top right. This takes you to the profile edit screen where can update your photo by picking one from your camera roll/gallery or taking one with your camera.
Important! Once you do this, you won’t be able to update your profile photo through Twitter anymore. You will also have to update it through your Periscope profile.
Editing your profile
To edit your Periscope bio in iOS and Android, click the Profile icon in the top right corner on the People Tab. Tap the edit icon on the top right.
Switch between multiple Twitter accounts
You need to sign up for multiple Periscope accounts if you have multiple Twitter accounts. In iOS and Android, you can switch between Twitter accounts by logging out and back in and choosing which account you want to use.
If you don’t see the account you want to sign in with, you might not be logged into your Twitter account through the Twitter app or your Twitter settings. You would need to update your Twitter account on your device if this is the case.
That’s the basics for setting up your Periscope account. It’s an easy process that takes just a few minutes if you already have a Twitter account.
Did you find that helpful?